Hello Autumn. I feel FALL arrive in every peculiar emotion of my senses. And when those feelings enliven, it is time for SOUP. This BEST EVER sweet potato coconut soup has the perfect blend of creaminess with a punch of fall flavour. Wake up your senses with a steaming hot bowl of Autumn warmth!
Sweet Potato Roots
I grew up with Thanksgiving dinner always having a dish of Sweet Potato casserole at hand, complete with roasted marshmallows. It sounded so bizarre to my French Canadian husband and he never quite adapted to my love of marshmallows atop veggies, hot cocoa, or the gooey drippy s’mores I crave in camping season.
My health has caused me to adjust my sweet tooth slightly, so I am discovering new ways to create healthy versions of the foods I crave!
This BEST EVER sweet potato coconut soup combines the rich and savoury flavours of fall with a dash of sweet creaminess! It is DELECTABLE!
And it is SUPER easy to make!
Keep it Simple
With seven kids, I am into making dinner as simple and delicious as possible…in that order. |
This BEST EVER sweet potato coconut soup has only 5 FRESH Veggies and Coconut Cream to explode it with flavour!
- Sweet Potatoes
- Green Peppers
- FULL FAT Organic Coconut Cream
What could be simpler than that?!
Do you worry about the “health” side of FULL fat coconut cream? Be encouraged! Coconut cream offers us one of the most spectacular ways to get some of the healthy fats to make our skin and inner health shine forth. It also is shown to improve brain function, boost our metabolism and protect us from infection (something we could all use more of this time of year especially!).
Check out more health benefits on adding in some GOOD fats to our diet, and how coconut oils can be a benefit by swinging by for a visit at Dr. Terry Wahls online.
A Pinch of This, and a Dash of That
No soup is complete without a little serious seasoning. But even here, I like to not complicate things. I use what I keep on hand in my cupboard, but keep in mind the importance of having a few staples ready to go when the ‘call to cook’ awakens.
For this Recipe you will Need:
- Garlic Powder
- Pinch of Chili Pepper
- Black Pepper
- Sea Salt
You’ll be surprised at how these spicy aromas sweep in the warmth of Fall coziness. No comforting soup should be without them! They really add something special the BEST coconut sweet potato soup. Even my kids went cuckoo over it.
Discover another Healthy Hot Meal for the Family HERE!
BEST Coconut Sweet Potato Soup (Perfect for Fall weather)
- 3 Whole Sweet Potatoes Peeled and Sliced or Cubed
- 4 Whole Carrots Peeled and chopped
- 2 Whole Green, Red, Orange, or Yellow Peppers Diced
- 1 Whole Onion Diced
- 2 Cups Spinach (Fresh or Frozen)
- 1 Can Full Fat Organic Coconut Cream
- 1 Tbsp Garlic Powder
- 1 Tbsp Cumin
- 3 Cups Chicken Stock or Vegetable Broth
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Sauté Onions and Peppers for 5 minutes (or until onions are transluscent), in a thick bottomed pot or Crock pot, with a dose of Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
- Add in other veggies. Sauté 5 more minutes.
- Add in Spices.
- Pour in at least 3 cups of Chicken Stock or Vegetable Broth.
- Pour in 3 cups of water.
- Allow to simmer on Medium Low for about 30 minutes.
- Turn off burner. Allow soup to cool for 15munutes.
- Blend on high until creamy and soup has no more lumps. You can use a stand up blender or a handheld one.
- Pour in one half can of FULL fat Organic Coconut Cream (including some of the thick cream).
- Re-heat soup, once blended, stirring so it does not stick to bottom. Add Salt and Pepper to taste.
- Serve with a sprig of rosemary, or a with side of warm bread.