I don’t know about you but I absolutely love food. Especially the “munching” kind, because I am constantly in motion. From breast-feeding to grocery shopping, to corralling children and teaching multiple grades and ages at the same time, these “Bite-Me” energy balls were something I threw together years ago from a NEED basis. There is always a moment (or several) where I need an AMAZING bite….literally a bite… to keep me moving while staving off the HANGRY monster.
From Mid-Day to Midnight Munchies
Have you ever woken up for years on end with babies or kids needing you at 2am? If you have children, that’s a guarantee. I don’t know what it is about the middle of the night “calls” that leave me searching for food to keep me awake, but these Bite Me energy balls stem from those grumpy hunger runs. They are tiny and delicious and don’t break my healthy food bank for the week. And let me tell you…they also have powered me through innumerable workouts and play dates. I may be eating them as I write up this recipe. Yum.
This may also be the easiest recipe on the planet. With kids, I need snack recipes that are healthy, to the point, and don’t take me an eternity to whip up. These hit all of those goals.
I also love that I can add almost any ingredient and they taste amazing. They are really more like “leftover” balls because you can use up any dried fruit, nut butter, and gluten free grain in your cupboard and they turn out awesome. “Leftover Balls”, understandably, sounded less appetizing to me though.
Basics You Will Need:
- The Base of these scrumptious Bite Me Energy balls are Dates. They hold everything together really well and deliver a punch of iron!
- I also add in other dried fruits of choice. My preferences are dried apricots, blueberries, cherries, cranberries and sometimes bits of chopped dried pear.
- Quinoa Puffs. These are like an incredible gluten free dream, because when added to chewy ingredients (like dried fruit), they are reminiscent of ‘rice krispee balls’. AND they add a protein boost.
- Nut Butter. I am very close to my ‘nut butters’. I grew up on PB sandwiches….like all day, every day. But did you know that peanuts are actually part of the “legume” family and not the “Nut Family”? I only learned that recently upon research. It matters if you have allergies. My favourite nut butter for these Bite Me energy balls is almond butter, but I also have been known to throw in Cashew, and Hazelnut butter….SO good.
- Coconut Oil is a key ingredient. The consistency solidifies everything perfectly when chilled.
- I often add in some toasted unsweetened coconut flakes for good measure. Just because I am CRAZY about coconut. But feel free to leave it out if it’s not your ‘thang’.
- As I mentioned, added natural sweetener is unnecessary, but if you have a sweet tooth, 100% PURE Maple syrup or local honey adds yumminess.
I started making these when I ate whatever I wanted. You may think I look back at those days and wistfully dream of doing that again. Nope. I feel so much better, not only is it worth the ‘sacrifice’ of not eating crappy calories, but my tastes have change so I actually enjoy my food MORE.
In the original recipe I added more sweetener (honey I believe) and occasionally dipped them in chocolate. You can still do that and these Bite Me energy balls will not break the bank on healthy treat.
Now, I add ‘gluten-free, dairy-free chocolate chips, instead of the chocolate dipped option, and I actually prefer just a drizzle of 100% Pure Maple Syrup in the mix. The Dried fruit in these really add enough sweetness.
- A dash of Maca powder, adds some strength and a spicy nutty flavour.
- Matcha Powder and Pure Vanilla Extract can be a fantastic combination.
- Swap the Quinoa Puffs for Gluten Free Oats for a heart healthy punch.
- Using Toasted Coconut, Coconut Oil, and zest of Lemon or lime for flavour can make these a delightful summer treat!
- A Morning Muffin variety is SO good. Swap out the dates for more dried blueberries, dried strawberries and other field berries of choice. Stick with the coconut oil as a base instead of the nut butters, unless you like PB & J flavour!
Some Yummy ingredients delivered to your door:
- Quinoa Puffs!
- Dried Blueberries
- 100% Pure Maple Syrup
- Dried Apricots
- Toasted Coconut
- Maca & Cacao Powder for an added nutritional boost!
Bite Me Energy Balls
- Your hands and a large bowl.
- 2 Cup Chopped Dates soaking the date for 5 minutes and draining them makes them more "sticky" and moldable for the balls. It's worth the little bit of extra time.
- 1 /2 Cup Nut Butter Of Choice (Almond Butter is Delicious but Unsweetened Natural Peanut butter is delicious too!)
- 3 Cup Quinoa Puffs
- 1/2 Cup Coconut Oil
- 1/2 Cup Dried Apricots
- 1/2 Cup *Optional …Is chocolate really optional? Chocolate Chips (Of your Choice, but I use Gluten Fre, Dairy Free Options)
- 1/4 Cup *Optional Maple Syrup
- 1/2 * Optional for rolling: Toasted Coconut
- There is nothing easier than energy balls. Prepare ingredients you will be using, by placing them on the counter beside a large bowl you will use for mixing.
- Soak the dates for 5 minutes, then rinse and drain.
- Add chopped Apricots, nut butters, coconut oil, puffs, and additional options of choice.
- Mash ingredients together with clean, dry hands.
- Roll into balls.
- Pop in the freezer for 15 minutes, or overnight.
- Enjoy cold, or thawed.