Since I was a young girl, whipped body butter or lotion was a part of my daily ‘self-care’ ritual. No matter the season of life, little else makes you feel more nurtured than smooth soft skin. I never realized until my first pregnancy, how the chemical components of lotions and creams seep beneath the surface of our pores and into our blood stream. Ew. My days of perusing Bath & Body Works ended. I needed to find a more natural solution to my skin care routine. While I did find some amazing companies over the years, offering exceptional products, making my own gave me peace of mind. Plus, it was FAR cheaper and often higher quality. This Easy DIY Whipped Body Butter is the perfect addition to your “daily glow”. It is also a PERFECT Christmas gift for loved ones!
I am not only a HUGE fan of clean ingredients, but I consider them absolutely VITAL to a clean home. Whether it be in food items or beauty products knowing what we put in our body and environment impacts our health in a major way. Clean ingredients also help balance out our hormones rather than disrupt (you can read more on hormone disruptors in your beauty products HERE.)
But I often spent a fortune buying products with LESS ingredients. Does that make any sense to you? It didn’t to me. Except we know that major companies often monopolize the market and care little for what they put IN their products. We have to be our own advocates sometimes. Even for our budget!
When I discovered the quality and frugality of Doterra Essential oils, I decided to take the leap and make my own products as much as possible. Something, I am still experimenting with weekly!
Beauty products that could easily cost hundreds of dollars a month end up costing pennies per use.
And BEST beauty benefit? My skin became softer and less prone to irritations.
You’ve heard me say it before, but I will say it again for those new to this page. Quality of ingredients REALLY matters. Particularly when it comes to essential oils.
I could never endorse using oils of low quality (something typically found at your local pharmacy or even health food store) even if they are touted as “organic”. Oils that are not CERTIFIED PURE THERAPUTIC GRADE are not held to any standard of quality. They often have HIGHLY CONCENTRATED toxins or pollutants or debris that can bring more harm to your health than benefit. Be vigilant and do some research for yourself. I highly recommend the book, “Smart Moms Guide to Essential Oils“. It details why quality is so vital when it comes to oils. The two top international companies for HIGH QUALITY oils are Young Living and DōTERRA. We know that DōTERRA, however, holds itself to a particular standard above all other companies. You can read more about their CPTG Quality tests HERE.
Their oils might seem pricey, but they in fact ridiculously inexpensive for the quality and value you get. And a few drops goes a LONG way in cleaning up your home environment (especially in providing a green, clean home for kids) and beauty products you can trust! I have saved hundreds of dollars a month by using oils and creating my own products.
I ALWAYS recommend signing up as a Loyal Customer with Dōttera. You get 25% off oils and reward points back each month on your orders that you can use to purchase more oils.
The HEALTHY START collection comes with 10 incredibly powerful oils that will infuse health and wellness in your home and can be used to create your own cleaning products, beauty products, added to food or water (ONLY the dietary safe oils) as well as to clean the air in your home. A diffuser is also included for that reason! The oils in this collection are ones I use daily and have lasted over a year!
What You Will Need:
Here are some basic ingredients that will make enough body butter to give out as gifts OR to last you the year through!
- Organic Shea Butter
- Organic Coconut Oil is easy to come by, but this one is around $10. I use coconut oil is SO many products and recipes at home, so I often but this Kirkland 84 Ounce tub, which lasts us a long time!
- Raw Cocoa Butter is something I discovered more recently for its health benefits! Loaded with healthy fats it is deeply nourishing and can even be added to smoothies!
- Olive Oil
- Dōterra Essential Oils of choice. For fragrance, I love this whipped body butter with Wild Orange and Lavender or Lavender and Frankincense. Frankincense has incredible rejuvenating properties that benefit the skin and promotes relaxation (perfect before bedtime). Wild orange is a wonderful energizing mood booster! Lavender deeply calms and is an oil that is gentle enough to use on babies (No more than 5 drops per cup of cream). Keep in mind the most economical way to purchase dōTERRA oils is to purchase a COLLCTION like the “Healthy Start” so the LRP sign up fee is waved. Plus you get a plethora of oils that will help you create products for only pennies! I have saved hundreds of dollars a month creating my oil natural home remedies.
- Copaiba oil is something I love to add in to my body butter. It is rich in ability to heal the skin and promote wellness and that ‘youthful’ glow.
- Arrowroot flour. I know that ‘homemade’ creams are often greasier than their conventional counterpart. But, this Easy DIY Body Butty is so much healthier for your body than a chemical laden product. Plus, just a Tbsp of arrowroot flour will absorb extra oil from the coconut oil, to give this more of a ‘conventional’ product feel.
Benefits of Basic Ingredients
Shea butter is one of the most healing natural products available today. I often try to buy from companies that I KNOW are ethically minded and support women. Shea Moisture is such a company. They are dedicated to advocating for women in their products and company, by providing jobs and fair trade. You can read more about their story HERE. You can find their shea butter HERE. I personally love supporting fair trade companies. I still get a TON of product when I make it myself and it still costs me only pennies per use!
Coconut oil has been used for generations and is loaded with anti-fungal, anti-bacterial and anti-viral properties.
Cocoa Butter is loaded with Vitamin E, which is incredibly healing to our skin. It is a wildly beneficial health product that can be even added to smoothies! My favourite part? It smells like a decade chocolate bar! Read more about the benefits HERE.
Olive oil is essentially the “medium” or “carrier oil” in this recipe. But it is PACKED with skin soothing benefits too. It can aid in acne production as it is anti-bacterial!
WATCH THE Body Butter VIDEO!
Get out your ingredients and a double boiler (if you have one). I no longer have one, thanks to minimalism! But I never miss it. I simply use a bowl placed over a pot of boiling water. So no worries if you are like me and do not keep one in your kitchen!
Place one cup each of Shea Butter, Coconut Oil, Olive Oil and Cocoa Butter in a bowl. Melt over a pot of boiling water, stirring occasionally. Once melted, remove from heat.
You have the OPTION at this point of blending in 1 tbsp of ARROWROOT Flour to absorb some extra “greasiness”of the oil.
Place in a cool spot to harden. I usually stick mine in the freezer for it to cool faster.
Once it is a nice creamy white colour and the mixture is hard but still malleable to the touch, add in your oils.
If this is a cream for adults, add up to 10 drops of each oil. For children and babies stick to 5 drops of one oil per cup.
You can now blend your oil mix on high until it becomes fluffy and white like whipped cream.
Be sure to add a little PIZZAZZ to your gift. A simple sprinkle of Lavender buds and a sprig of holly to seal it off, adds a beautiful touch!
I often try to up-cycle a container from either a mason jar, a coconut or shea butter jar or even asking friends for their beauty product containers.
You can also store or ‘gift’ your body butter in these adorable mini wide mouth mason jars.
This wonderful, creamy body butter can last on the shelf up to one year, in a moderate temperature.
Gift Basket IDEAS:
A beautiful and thoughtful gift is a “Self-Care” Basket for someone you love. Up-Cycle a basket you already have on hand or even a cardboard box you received that you can decorate!
Add in a few of the items on this list and encourage someone you love!
- These DIY Bath Salts are a PERFECT way to unwind with a good book at the end of the day, and are SO simple to make.
- Add this luxurious Body Butter in the basket and a link to this website for the recipe so they can make their own!
- A good read for the Bath! Here are a few favourites on my wish list: Get Your Life Back, by John Eldredge, Treasuring Christ When Your Hands Are Full, by Gloria Furman, T.S. Elliot Poems
- Some fine chocolates (stay tuned for a delicious truffle recipe coming soon!)