Cake LOVE. We all have it.
This PERFECT paleo Chocolate cake is the epitome of DELISH guilt free. I may have even had some for breakfast a time or two. But don’t tell my children.
And if you are wondering what “Paleo” means, it basically underscores that you can polish off this delicious dessert without the bloated guilt associated with too much CAKE.
Have Your Cake
I have this long passionate history for cake.
My friends know I can devour a few pieces at a time if offered.
Perhaps it has something to do with all the ‘potlucks’ I attended growing up in a southern state. The tables were littered with trays of pan cake, snacking cake and towering layers of a powerful sugar rush.
Maybe it was the fact that I was allergic to chocolate as a kid, and would drool over the birthday cake at various parties I attended. The carrot stick Substitute did not quite suffice.
The fact that I believe my dad had “Little Debbie” on speed dial for most of my youth did not shock much when my triglycerides popped a bit high in 5th grade.
Even when I was pregnant with our first child, I travelled to the states for my besties’ wedding preparations. We dropped by an exclusive little bakery dedicated to CAKE for some luscious treats. My prenatal cravings were deeply satisfied there.
At every social ‘thing’, CAKE is, in all transparency, like a good friend for me. I am not a social butterfly, unlike my husband, and tend to drift off in the corner with whatever is being served. Someone more vibrant than I, always finds me and engages in lovely conversation while I respond happily in between mouthfuls of cake.
Whether gooey nostalgia from the local convenient store, or expensive layered Ambrosia, I was always and forever, a FAN of CAKE.
This is one reason why, discovering a how my body thrived without grains, became such a disappointment.
What about birthdays? What about coffee cake?
While I don’t always have cake on hand, I DO love having it time to time.
Soon I discovered the Paleo world of experimentation with recipes.
Thus, my Perfect Paleo Chocolate Cake was born, from desire and perseverance at creating a healthier version that still tasted DELICIOUS.
Watch the Video
I will say this on repeat. Quality of ingredients really matters. It’s why a cake from an exclusive bakery tastes twenty times better than a prepackaged one at the grocery store.
And these ingredients do not have to break your bank. Having a few key ones on hand will carry you through many months or years.
Here is a list of my Top 5 Quality Cake Ingredients, to keep on hand:
- Having Extra Virgin Coconut Oil on hand is a must, but be sure you buy in bulk to save. I love THIS ONE from Amazon that gives you the most bang for your buck.
- High Quality PURE Vanilla Extract is WORTH the effort. You can check out my incredibly simple recipe for making your own from scratch HERE. And if you would like to purchase inexpensive vanilla beans that you can use for countless recipes to come, they come dried and ready for use!
- Coconut Sugar is an INCREDIBLE substitute, but I order mine at a discount HERE.
- Organic Cocoa Powder is a must for Cakes, homemade Hot Cocoa, or a sprinkle in your morning coffee!
- Almond Flour. This is MAGICAL. It gives brownies the chewiest texture and lightest flavour, while leaving us feeling energized instead of ‘weighed down’ by gluten. There are many Almond flours on the market but the finer ground it is the fluffier your cake will be. THIS ONE is a GEM!
Preferred Baking Tools:
- While I did not use it in the video for purposes of showing the texture of the batter, I almost always use my Kitchen Aid Mixer for cake, and all my baking. It is just TOO handy for words! Plus, this particular colour is gorgeous on a countertop.
- My Beech Wood Measuring Spoons are super inexpensive, and add so much charm to any recipe you are making.
- These ceramic mixing bowls are simple, reasonably priced and my go-to for every recipe. Plus they can double as pretty serving bowls which save space in the cupboard!
- Wooden Antique spoons are something I have collected over the years, from a variety of Antique stores and flea markets. I highly recommend searching for some yourself; the quality of a hand carved baking spoon is unparalleled.
You Will NEED:
- Cups Finely Sifted Almond Flour
- cups Organic Cocoa Powder
- Cup Coconut Flour
- Baking Soda
- Tsp Ground Sea Salt
- cup Coconut Sugar
- Cup Raw Honey
- tsp Apple Cider Vinegar (DON’T skip this ingredient! It helps cake to rise!)
- Egg Yolks
- Cup Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil MELTED
- Tbs Homemade PURE Vanilla Extract
- 1 Cup Organic Coconut Milk (Or unsweetened Almond milk)
This is such a simple recipe. Begin by lining two 9″ inch round cake pans with parchment paper. DO NOT pour batter into pans without the paper.
Next blend all the dry ingredients together until well combined. And set aside.
In another bowl, cream the Coconut Sugar, Honey, MELTED Coconut oil, Apple Cider Vinegar (DON’T SKIP this ingredient!) and Eggs, Egg yolks, Vanilla and Coconut Milk.
Add liquid ingredients to dry and stir until well combined.
Pour batter into prepared pans and bake at 340 degrees Fahrenheit for approximately 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in middle of cake comes out clean.
Don’t Forget to FROST it! Click HERE for my recipe for Perfect Paleo Chocolate ‘Buttercream’ Frosting!
- You can use any topping you prefer for this cake. It is such a delicious dark chocolate “base” cake, enjoyed on its’ own or with additions. I often choose to top mine with organic toasted coconut flakes. But you could also choose fresh cranberries and a spring of rosemary for a decorative holiday cake.
- Adjust the Coconut Sugar and Honey according to taste. This recipe gives a rich dark chocolate flavour with a lovely light sweetness and nutty undertone. If you prefer sweeter, add more honey, a half cup per recipe until you have experimented to find your preference.
- You can even try these dye-free sprinkles for a kids birthday!
Perfect Paleo Chocolate Cake
- 4 Cups Sifted Almond Flour
- 2 Cups Organic Cocoa Powder
- 1/2 Cup Coconut Flour
- 2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Ground Sea Salt
- 3/4 Cup Melted Coconut Oil
- 1 Cup Raw Honey
- 1 Cup Coconut Palm Sugar
- 1 Cup Coconut Milk
- 2 WHOLE Eggs
- 2 Egg YOLKS
- 2 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 Tbs PURE Vanilla Extract
- Prepare Non-Stick Pans lined with Parchment paper
- Mix Dry Ingredients until well combined.
- Blend Sugar, Honey, Eggs and Egg Yolk, Apple Cider Vinegar, Coconut Milk, and Vanilla.
- Add Blended dry ingredients to liquid ingredients. Blend until smooth.
- Bake at 340 degrees fahrenheit for approximately 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in middle of cake comes out clean.
- Allow to cool before frosting.